Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
propagating perennials: Getting the garden beds ready for winter.
Undergoing MyBlogLog Verification

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Getting the garden beds ready for winter.

Now is the time to clean and mulch garden beds and plant spring bulbs. I always use bone meal whenever I plant perennials or woody plants and also mix in a healthy shovel of cow manure into each hole, purchased from the local big box store. We want to give the roots a good medium to grow in. Here in North Carolina there is an abundance of clay so the soil needs to broken up. Sometimes I use compost in place of manure. Instead of bagging your leaves and setting them out for trash pickup, compost piles are easy to construct. Smith & Hawkin has a great composter although the price has increased 30% since I purchased mine. Just make certain to turn the pile over at least once a week and moisten it. I put all the clippings into the compost when I prune the perennials and to give the worms a head start I grind/blend my kitchen scraps, especially the egg shells. I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and purchased a seal tight Lucite container to put my scraps in because they can smell up a kitchen after a while. I purchase a large bag of bone meal, 20 pounds, at a specialty hardware store, then use a discarded cool whip container when I am planting instead of lugging around a sack made of paper. A handful of bone meal is sufficient for each plant hole. Good horticulture practices reaps rewards.

No comments:

 
http://www.blogcatalog.com/directory/home_and_garden/gardening

web site counter
South Beach Diet