Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
propagating perennials: Origanum vulgare hirtum-Greek Oregano
Undergoing MyBlogLog Verification

Monday, April 28, 2008

Origanum vulgare hirtum-Greek Oregano

Propagating Greek Oregano can be propagated anytime of the year, because its growth habit is by rhizomes so plants can be dug at any juncture making sure you take a section that has a good root system. I planted Greek because that’s what was available when I went looking and each spring, before it flowers, I harvest enough to distribute to my neighbors for drying. Oregano has a high antioxidant value and is known to counter the listeria pathogen. It does best in full sun in a well drained soil. It flowers in May/June with white blooms. I’ve had my patch for at least 7 years and because I cut it back every year, about 8-12", the plant does not become woody like many herbs.

No comments:

 
http://www.blogcatalog.com/directory/home_and_garden/gardening

web site counter
South Beach Diet