Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
propagating perennials: Scabiosa-Pincushion Flower
Undergoing MyBlogLog Verification

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Scabiosa-Pincushion Flower

Propagating Scabiosa or Pincushion Flower is accomplished in the spring by digging up the parent plant and separating two-three well rooted stems and transplant. Be careful when purchasing Scabiosa initially to make certain you are purchasing a perennial not an annual. Some varieties must be staked because they will reach upwards of 3', and most are deciduous but there are evergreen varieties as well. Scabiosa is appreciated in the garden because with deadheading it will bloom from spring until fall or if left it can be a great self seeder in a well drained alkaline soil in full sun to partial shade. Blooming varieties vary from blue, white, pink, burgundy, yellow, and violet. It tends to be deer resistant, is attractive to both hummingbirds and butterflies.

3 comments:

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

Hello Bullthistle.

I always look at your blog but have never commented till now. Well it's a great blog, does exactly as it 'says on the tin'.Good stuff, you're on my fav blog list and I'll keep visiting! Thanks.

Rob

Wayne Stratz said...

came here through blotanical. I have scabiosa that is doing well in my yard and I love it. They are way cool to see open because they open slowly and you can see them at various stages of openness.

bullthistle said...

Thanks guys. I do the best I can and have myself found some plants that I will propagate after retirement that I didn't learn about in college.

 
http://www.blogcatalog.com/directory/home_and_garden/gardening

web site counter
South Beach Diet